(this photo has nothing to do with this post. we had a bonfire the other night and I thought it was pretty. the end.)
They are so...much...fun.
Don't get me wrong. I love a good indie or a super serious dialog heavy flick too. They make up most of my very favorite movies of all time. And there are a few on this list.
But there is something about it being 100 humid-degrees outside, being bundled up in a dark, frigid movie theater with 150 other people watching things blow up or aliens take over or super heroes save the day. It's comforting. Like Jimmy Stewart at Christmas.
1. Iron Man 3 (Already saw it and loved it. I would watch Iron Man:10 and probably still find a reason to love it. RDJ is perfection in that role. And add in Gwyneth and I'm hooked. Yes, this is absolutely #1 for me this summer)
2. Star Trek: Into Darkness (I was a big fan of the first one and have always loved the Next Generation movies. All I needed to hear were the words Benedict Cumberbatch and this one went directly to number two on my list. And then there's that adorable, hysterical Simon Pegg too...)
3. The Great Gatsby (As a big-time Baz Luhrmann (Tina Sparkle!) and Leo fan, I can't wait to stare at this one. Even if the story is blah, it will be a feast for the eyes.)
4. Much Ado About Nothing (Two words. Joss Whedon. Joss made it. I will watch it. That's just a rule. It's funny to me, all the people who now fall all over him. Those of us who have been singing his praises since the 90's with Buffy have always known what a genius he is. Nerds win again, Hollywood. And the story of how this movie came to be is, like, the coolest thing.)
5. Man of Steel (Superman has always been my favorite superhero. The last Superman movie was so terrible. I hope this one redeems him.)
6. The Bling Ring (Sophia Coppola's new movie? Yes, please. I love how she tells stories so quietly. With so much detail in the little moments of a scene. I adore her style)
Honorable Mentions: Despicable Me 2, World War Z, Elysium, Oblivion, White House Down, The Heat
What's on your list?